Providing efficient and effective service to local authorities, Magistrates’ Courts and private landlords since 2002

Debt Support

As you well know we are amid a global pandemic that has dramatically changed our lives. You may well be one of those whose income has been disrupted that has affected your ability to pay the arrears you have with us. Please rest assured that LWE and your local authority wish to work with you if this is genuinely the case.

If you have an arrangement with us and are unable to pay, then you need to tell us about this.


  • What is/was your source of income?
  • What was your employment status? this could be self-employed or employed on a PAYE basis.
  • If you are self-employed explain what industry you are in and how this has affected you. For example, you may be a taxi driver and your pick-ups have stopped because of the self-isolation restrictions that have been put in place. Let us know you are aware of the help that the government has put in place and that you will be applying for this.

    Please follow this link for help that is available for the self-employed.
  • Are you employed and been laid off or furloughed because your employer has temporarily closed or doesn’t now have the work for you. Detail who you work for and when and what was your last salary payment? Please follow this link for more information
  • If you were on a zero-hours contract and your employment has ended then who was the employer and when and what was your last salary payment. Are you aware of what help is available to you and have you already made an application for financial support? Please detail. For more information click here
  • If you are a business owner where your business has been disrupted, explain your industry and how it has been affected. Are you aware of government help that is available? If not follow this link, see also our section regarding Business Rates if these apply to you.
  • Are you off sick and in receipt or applied for Statutory Sick Pay? Explain who your employer is and how long you expect to be off sick and if your employer is still operating. Please click here.
  • Do you rent your home? Has your landlord offered any help with a holiday from your rent? More information can be found by clicking here.
  • If you own your home, you must tell us if you have a mortgage or own it outright. Has your mortgage provider offered you any help to defer payments? The government’s support for mortgage interest may be of help.
  • Please offer your proposal to clear the outstanding balance bearing in mind you may have a new bill for the 2020/21 tax period.

If you are employed and still receiving your salary, self-employed where your income hasn’t been affected or on Universal Credit then you will be expected to continue your arrangement with us. If you haven’t yet made arrangement to pay, then you need to do this immediately. Please scroll to the bottom of the page to find out how to contact us and make payment.


In order to grant you an extension on the current arrangement we will need to analyse your situation and decide based on the information you provide. As an enforcement agency acting for local government, we need to be mindful that many businesses are struggling but few are doing very well and regrettably some taking advantage of the situation.

If you could write to us-

  • Explain your business model and how the COVID-19 has impacted on your business, detail what sector/s your customers are from.
  • Explain your business continuity plan and if you are aware and have understood what the government has in place for businesses like yourself and what you will be applying for. Follow this link for further information.
  • Do you plan on or have furloughed staff and are still paying them in the interim until government funding is made available, if so, how many employees?
  • Do you own your premises or are they leased, if the latter have you discussed ongoing rent with your landlord and what if anything has been offered to you? Please click here for more information.
  • Please offer your proposal to clear the outstanding balance bearing in mind you may have a new bill for the 2020/21 tax period. Certain businesses are entitled to Small Business Rate Relief, click here to see if your eligible. You can check your rateable value or RV by entering your postcode and clicking on your business address. Your local authority may however have already granted this. There is also other funding through the Small Business Grant Fund and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant Fund, click here for guidance. There is also additional Retail Relief that has been extended to the leisure and hospitality sectors

The full range of support available can be found here.

You will need to write to us, we would prefer that you e-mail at, please add your case reference no. in the subject field. Do not use this mode of contact like a form of instant messenger, you will need to detail everything as if you were writing a letter to us. We have set a target that all e-mails will be responded to within 48 hours. Alternatively, you can send a letter by post to London Warrant Enforcement, 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU however it is highly likely that there will be a delay in responding as there is a disruption to Royal Mail. If you have access to a fax machine you can send your letter to 020 7788 3460.

Our phone lines are open on 0800 086 9089 for you to leave a message ONLY. Please do this if you wish to speak to someone. Please speak clearly leaving your case reference no., your name and first line of address and postcode. We will endeavour to call you back the same day.

Payments to us can be made as follows-

By bank transfer using your internet banking facility Barclays Bank, Sort Code 20 35 93

Thurrock Council Tax and Business Rates- Account No. 40128368
London Borough’s Council Tax and Business Rates- Account No. 90003255

Using Your Credit or Debit Card If you are experiencing difficulties using this 3D secure platform please call us on 0800 086 9089 and leave us a message. We will call you back.

Barclays Bank Branches Click here to find your nearest branch. Most branches are operating a full service but please note you will need a paying-in book or slips to make payment. If you would like these sent to you, please let us know.